Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Weeks 8 through 17... What happened to the time?!


8 Weeks Pregnant

I'll tell you what happened to the time, I was mostly in bed with nausea and eating plenty of fast food.  Yes, the only thing I could stomach was  fast food for about eight straight weeks.  Blah!  For some strange pregnancy reason I could not eat nor cook my favorite healthy home cooked meals so being the only cook in our home, my darling Husband would offer to cook by supplying us with a steady flow of easy food... from the drive through.  Oh well, I am finally feeling better and although I still can't stomach the time in the kitchen, at least I can now eat fruits and other nutritious foods that mostly my wonderful mom in law makes at her home.  During all of this down time I have had the opportunity to read a bunch on pregnancy and baby development as well as labor and delivery.  I did experience a bout of depression for about a week because all I could do was lay in bed and even then I was feeling ill and every smell was absolutely disturbing.  Everything I was involved in got put on hold and for the most part still is so there was little socializing and constant "yuckiness".  I have an incredible family though and they let me just come over and veg in their living room just to feel like I was alive and soon enough I started feeling better!  Oh and exercise?!  Yeah right!  I am just now getting to the place where I can get out a few times a week for a walk or an easy urban bike ride without dry heaving or puking in some near bush!  

What about baby?  Baby is growing and twirling and moving all around just fine!  At our monthly midwife appointments we get to hear the heart beating and we have gotten to see baby on an ultrasound machine a couple of times.  The growth rate of my uterus is perfect as well.  We still are not sure if we are having a boy or a girl but on June 7th we have a full OB diagnostic ultrasound scheduled where hopefully we will be able to see if baby is a he or a she!  At first Eli and I thought we would wait to find out baby's sex until the birth but knowing both of our "check list" personalities, finding out will help us plan appropriately and I feel as if we could bond with baby a bit more knowing who we are bonding with.  

17 Weeks Pregnant
As for birthing classes, we chose to take the Bradley Birth Classes.   We are taking the classes at Peachy Keen Birth Services by Mandi Woolery who is passionate about child birth and who is a momma of three herself.  So far we have taken one out of twelve classes, which focused on exercise and relaxation, but I have read Husband Coached Childbirth which is all about the Bradley Method of childbirth.  While I feel inadequate to explain the entirety of what the Bradley Method is because I have only read about it and taken one class, I will do my best to briefly explain what the Bradley Method is.  Basically, the Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth is a method of childbirth that teaches the husband how to be a birth coach, after all, why not finish what he helped start, and teaches the wife how to relax and breath in order to handle child birth naturally.  There is a lot of detail within this basic description so if you are interested in further information just visit www.bradleybirth.com  and read a few of the resources they suggest which will include the book I have previously suggested, Husband Coached Childbirth.  I realize that I don't have the best blogging habit but I will try as time goes on to talk more about what we are learning in our Bradley Method classes!

How the heck did we get pregnant after almost two years of trying anyway?!  We prayed all the time.  Eli would lay his hand on my belly and pray almost every night.  I also started to ease up on my diet.  I have the tendency to be very linear so if I am going to eat a certain way, that will be the way I eat!  Instead I would let myself indulge when we would go out and wouldn't let myself stress on the junk I just put in my body.  The reason for this mostly was because, statistically, I needed to put on some weight if I was to be at my most fertile weight range.  So knowing this helped me to not be as stressed about nutrition as I have the potential to be.  Another thing we did was acupuncture.  The interesting thing about this is that I got the acupuncture around the day we conceived, not even knowing we had conceived so I am not sure how much this helped but it sure was relaxing, which I am sure helped!  Also, I took it easy on exercise.  I love to mountain bike, road bike, walk, etc. but I chose to give my body a break!  I added green juice to my daily diet too!  This juice included kale, cucumber, lemon, ginger, celery, and apple!  Oh, I love juicing, that is, loved because as soon as I hit seven weeks, I couldn't stand it!  I am going to try again at the end of this week, I hope I love it again!  Oh, for the last 10 years I worked at Starbucks and went to school so I never had a regular sleep nor eating schedule and I really believe this didn't help my fertility!  It was also so stressful for me!  For the last chunk of time I worked there I had to be at work by 4am which meant I would be up no later than 2am or 3am to get ready, eat, etc.  This didn't mean I got a nice full nights sleep either!  most of the time I was in bed by 11pm the night before ensuring a maximum of three to four hours of sleep a night!  Oh, this took its toll on me for sure!  There were many benifits to working for Starbucks so don't get me wrong please, but I did reach the end of my duty there!  By the grace of God I was able to resign in January of 2012 following a year long sabbatical in 2011!  A full year and half before we got pregnant I was able to work on getting plenty of rest, get back to a healthy eating schedule and routine and enjoy life!  And lastly, at least that I can currently think of, I truly believe that getting help in the form of counseling and medication for my extreme anxiety disorder (EAD) and OCD has played a huge role in helping us get pregnant because I can see life clearer and calmer rather than from a very fatalistic, and quite frankly a scary, point of view!  I actually feel normal!  I never knew what normalcy was like because I thought the compulsive and terrifying thoughts and the daily warfare of that was normalcy.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  Now I am fully equip to be a health momma and a healthy wife!  God indeed is SO good!  

On that note, I look forward to the days, weeks, and months ahead, I am looking forward to getting back into the kitchen and I am looking forward to getting back into the sunshine for some easy exercising!  Until next update, be blessed and take care!

   



2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited you're taking classes with Mandi- like so excited I could cry and puke at the same time! I miss you all so much it hurts and the thought of you getting to know one of my other very good friends is exciting. Mandi is GREAT, and you should join the cloth diaper meetup group too, if it still exists (she was the admin of it, I don't know if she still is or if it even exists anymore). I met most of my very best mama friends through that group. It's partly because you have to be open minded to use cloth diapers and partly because Mandi doesn't put up with ANY BS, but that was the nicest, least catty group of women I have ever known. Never any drama or negativity, just support and fun and love. Oh I miss them! Anyway, now that that love fest is over... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Brandi! You officially crack me up!!!! I can't help but to love you!!!! hahahahaha! I'll tell her you said hi! She told me that she loves you and that she met you through the cloth diapering group! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete